Amazing Win by India Against NZ by 53 Runs – Series 1-0
Occasion: 1st T20I
Venue: Delhi – Feroj Kotla Ground
Date: 1st. November, 2017
Result: India won by 53 runs
Heroes of the match:
1. Shikhar Dhawan – Man of The Match – 80 runs in 52 balls
2. Rohit Sharma – Jana Player of The Match – 80 runs 55 balls
3. Virat Kohli – Winning Captain Trophy – 26 runs in 11 balls
4. Yujvendra Chahal – 2 wickets
5. Axar Patel – 2 wickets
NZ won the toss and invited India to bat.
Rohit Sharma and Shikhar Dhawan came to bat.
Both the batsmen were too furious to bat from the very beginning and collected runs very quickly, no bowlers could do any harm till they ( Dhawan and Sharma) could score 80 runs each in 52 and 54 balls only, thus, they contributed 158 runs jointly in partnership being one of the important factors to lead the team to victory , they laid the very strong foundation all the way.
Thus, India scored 202 runs in 5 wickets in 50 overs, Virat and Dhoni being not out till the finish of the innings.
The average per over was 10 which appeared to be a herculean task for NZ to chase & win the match.
So furious both the opening batsmen were that they smashed each and every ball and weakened the bowlers all along, the fielders too were very nervous, they dropped 2 catches one after another which gave life to the batsmen to bat furiously once again.
NZ batsmen started batting but wickets gone very quickly as the Indian bowlers bowled in good line and length.
The statistics is as follows:
1. At 6 runs 1st. out.
2. At 18 runs 2nd. Out.
3. At 54 runs 3rd. out.
4. At 83 runs 4th. out.
5. At 84 runs 5th. out.
6. At 94 runs 6th. out.
7. At 99 runs 7th. out.
8. At 111 runs 8th. out.
Total runs scored is 149 for 8 wickets.
Wickets taken by Indian bowlers:
1. Y. Chahal: 2
2. Axar Patel: 2
3. B Kumar: 1
4. J. Bumrah: 1
5. Hardik Pandya: 1
Major runs scored by NZ batsmen:
1. Latham – 36
2. Williamson – 28
3. Santner – 27
No batsman could touch 50 runs.
It was the most tragic end of the NZ team as envisaged from the following statistics:
1. In average India was above 10 whereas NZ above 7 only.
2. The opening batsmen of India stayed for a longer period in the crease, contributed very larger total of runs whereas NZ batsmen performed much more poorly that ever.
3. The Indian bowlers did better than those of NZ.
4. The fielders of India were much more vigilant over each and every ball whereas those of NZ appeared nervous all the way.
5. The captaincy of India was better in all respect.
6. Luck did not favour NZ team at all levels.
Such match is rarely seen as envisaged as under:
1. 98 runs needed in 24 balls.
2. 88 runs needed in 18 balls.
3. 77runs needed in 12 balls.
4. Last over – Ashish Nehra was given to bowl as a sort of respect.
India won by 53 runs.
This is India’s first win in T20 International before that NZ won 6 matches, one being draw out of 7 formats. As such under the able captaincy of Virat Kohli it is reckoned as the greatest win by India against NZ in T20I.
It is the 1st. win in 3 matches series to be played subsequently as follows:
04 November, 2017 2nd T20I India vs New Zealand
Saurashtra Cricket Association Stadium, Rajkot 19:00
13:30 GMT / 19:00 LOCAL
07 November, 2017 3rd T20I India vs New Zealand
Greenfield International Stadium, Thiruvananthapuram
Congratulation to Indian Team for grand win by 53 runs today!
Durga Prasad: Critic & Analyst.