Today was the fifth day of the fifth test cricket matches between India and England teams in the MA Chidambaram Stadium of Chennai wherein India had already won the series by 3-0 being one match draw between the teams in Gujarat Test Match played on … but all the rest test matches played India under the able captaincy of the Great Virat Kohli India won consecutively 3 test matches and thus had already captured the test series win , only the clean sweep was in the 5 test matches was lagging behind to win and for that the Great Virat Kohli pre – planned strategically with all the players how to make clean sweep over England by winning today’s match.
England won the toss and chose for batting first. They played very enthusiastically and all were out at the total of 477 runs which was no less than a very big score in any way, if we say an open challenge for the opponent to make good of such big score and to surpass it, but Indian players accepted the challenge and made surprisingly 759 runs beyond anybody’s imagination who were witnessing this wonderful match in the ground, in TVs and other sources/ media of communication in the country and beyond that. It was the highest runs in an innings ever made till now in test matches by Indian Team against England.
England in the First Innings made 477 runs – all out.
The major runs made by their players are as follows:
1. Moeen Ali – 146
2. Joe Root – 88
3. Liam Dawson – 66
4. Adil Rashid – 60
5. Jonney Bairstow 49
Total Runs made – 409
Add Rest + 15 Extras 68 Runs – Total Runs made – all out – 477
————————————————————-Major Wickets taken by Indian Bowlers:
1. Ravindra Jadeja – 3
2. Umesh Yadav – 2
3. Ishant Sharma – 2
Second Innings – Indian Teams made total runs 759 for 7 wickets – declared.
Major runs made by Indian players:
1. Karun Nair – 303
2. Lokesh Rahul – 199
3. Parthiv Patel – 71
4. R. Ashwin – 67
5. Ravindra Jadeja – 51
Total major runs made – 691 + Rest Runs + 7 Ex. = 759 runs for 7 declared.
7 Wickets taken by England Bowlers:
1. Stuart Board – 2
2. Moeen Ali – 1
3. Ben Stokes – 1
4. Liam Dawson – 2
5. Adil Rashid 1
Total wickets taken 7, then declared.
Third Innings by England – Total Runs made – 207 – All out.
Major Runs made by England Teams:
1. Keaton Jennings 54
2. Alastair Cook 49
3. Moeen Ali 44
Total runs made – 147 + Rest + Extras – 21 = Total 60 = 207 runs made – all out.
Wickets taken by Indian Bowlers:
1. Ravindra Jadeja – 7 wickets – About turned the Draw into unexpected Win
2. Ishant Sharma – 1
3. Umesh Yadav -1
4. Amit Mishra – 1 – All out only in 207 Runs
England 1st Innings – 477 Runs all out.
England 2nd. Innings – 207 Runs all out
England Total Runs made in both Innings – 477 + 207 = 684 Runs
India made 759 Runs in 7 Wickets declared.
India win by an Innings and 75 Runs against England.
The records made today as follows:
1. Virat Kohli equalises 18 most consecutive Tests without defeat for an India Captain made earlier by Sunil Gavaskar above Kapil Dev 17, M. Azaharuddin 14 and MS Dhoni 11.
2. India retain No 1 in Tests Matches.
3. For the first time India defeated England by 4 – 0 in 5 Test Matches.
This is the second time when India won by 4 – o against England in 2016 after 4 – 0 win in 2013 against Australia.
4. The second highest runs 303 made by Karun Nair after 319 runs made by earlier in this ground.
5. For the first time in his career Karun Nair is declared the “Man of the Match.”
6. Virat Kohli is declared the “Man of the Series” . He scored the highest runs of 655 in the series.
7. Virat Kohli was handed over the Anthony De Mello Trophy for winning by Anurag Thakur, BCCI President.
None could have thought of how India could take all 10 wickets merely in one day, but as the cricket is termed as the game of uncertainty it happened in the MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai.
1. Virat Kohli remarks it is not the team but a family that played together and won the match by an innings and 75 runs.
2. Sandip Patil ex-captain says it is a great win by Team India beyond one’s imagination.
3. Someone says it is a grand exploding win by Indian Team.
4. Another says, “We have seen so many champions but not the emperor of cricket.
5. “It’s an absolutely stunning performance from Team India.” – Aditya Deshpande added.
As there prevails comedy and tragedy in one’s life, I am of the opinion even in game & sport same is the case somewhere else. In this fifth day test match everyone enjoyed the match with tremendous victory against England but a few people including myself are disappointed that Lokesh Rahul couldn’t make double century, his bad luck he was out at 199 runs, and the second tragedy that Karun Nair couldn’t surpass the highest runs of 319 scored earlier by Virendra Sahvag, he lagged behind him by 17 runs only.
The captain could have declared a little bit earlier but waited till he made triple century, not beyond that on Team’s interest.
Virat Kohli led the team very effectively and wisely too that he came out the champion of the champions by defeating England by an innings and 75 runs. Such a win is reckoned as grand slam in the cricket test play records and the people who have seen this superb performance by Team India will remember it for a pretty long time.
Hearty Congratulation to Virat Kohli and his Team (family) for this grand win!
Writer: Durga Prasad, Advocate, Sociologist & Journalist
Dated 20th. December 2016, Tuesday.